|1 December 1944
"B" Company placed a 70' D/S Bailey at Sarrewerden and
during the process of putting tread on were ordered off the bridge due
to proximity of small arms fire. "C" Company maintained a good share of
responsibility for MSR. Due to distance involved radio communications were
maintained with "B" and "C" Companies on both 284 and 300 nets instead
of phone. Reception was good.
2 December 1944
A platoon of "A" Company moved to new quarters at Pisdorf.
"A" Company also worked in road craters South of Riesdorf. At HQ plans
to move more afoot. It is noteworthy that the personnel section usually
termed the "Rear Echelon" preceded all of H/S Co. It spearheading a move
to Sarrewerden along with a part of message center. "B" Company removed
Treadway Bridge and built a fixed bridge East of Burbach. Over this bridge
passed both Gen. Deger and Maj. Gen. Wood. The first with a direction to
close off no traffic and the second proffered a compliment to engineer
troops in general. "C" Company maintained the main supply routes in section
leading into and North from Fenstrange.
3 December 1944
Today was a bit irregular. "A" Company maintained its
road assignment and moved to billets and a new CP at Zollingon. The command
echelon invested new quarters at Sarrewereden at 1445 hours. Upon setting
up operations a quick dismantling and return to Fenstrange was ordered.
The forward tactical situation suddenly altered making new station a bit
untenable for maintaining Headquarters although S-1 Fwd and S-1 Rear remained
at same location holding buildings for remainder of HQ for the next day.
"B" and "C" Company in addition to road maintenance tasks each had a crater
and culvert to pass traffic over. "B" Company in addition to road maintenance
tasks also had a crater and culvert to pass traffic over. "B" Company had
crater South of Rexingen and "C" Company had culvert near Burbach.
4 December 1944
Congratulations were in order for Lt. Col. Reagan and
Capt. McGlinchey. Plans were in a state of flux regarding future responsibilities
and operations. However our engineer operations with 4th Armored were closing.
All companies were in continuous work of road & bridge maintenance
with "C" Company clearing debris from under Baileys at Fenstrange, Didendorf
and Sarrewerden. The latter also constructed culvert NE of Sarrewerden.
The personnel section continued in its quarters at Sarrewerden along with
some elements of message center. A half-track mounted with 506 radio was
attached to Bn. for ease of communications with Group.
5 December 1944
"A" Company worked full tilt on road & bridge maintenance
with one platoon dispatched to Norhange to check and clear new Corps HQ
area of possible mine time bombs and booby traps. "B" Company maintained
road from Sarrewerden to Sarre Union. "C" Company filled road craters in
the vicinity of Rimsdorf-Domfessel and built a fixed bridge replacing Treadway
SE of Sarre Union. Lt. Kuosynski was introduced to fellow officers at HQ.
6 December 1944
Radio and operational procedures were being used at S-5.
On many occasions it was the sole means of communications between HQ. and
the companies. The 300 sets were especially useful. Bridges and the MSR's
were with their maintenance a part of "A" Company's functions. One platoon
was at work as yet with Corps preparing and making safe new quarters in
Sarralbe. "B" Company moved its CP and elements from Niederstinzel to Sarre-Union.
During the day it completed a culvert in place of 24' Tdwy in the vicinity
of Sarre Union. "C" Company moved from Diedendorf to Diemeringen and also
H&S from Fenstrange to Buscherhoff farm just South of Sarre Union.
The former company was doing its share of MSR maintenance as well as sweeping
for mines & posting roads so required. Their duties were enlivened
by the capture of two of the enemy Farms and their usually numerous buildings
seemed favored places for quartering operations section as well as H&S
7 December 1944
"B" Company was working a full schedule. Being in general
support of divisional troops as a Bn. the goodly part of the missions entailed
construction of culverts and fixed bridges replacing Tdwys. This company
completed two. First was a 56' at Rahling and second 48' at Lorentzen.
In addition to these "C" Company also placed two culverts 36' & 24'
in length at Domfessel and just North of Lorentzen. "A" Company worked
roads & bridges within the Bn. area for maintenance. Plans were to
start for new locations at dawn. Our work in support of Fourth Armored
Div. was terminated.
8 December 1944
"B" Company moved into Willerwald in early morning hours
and sent reconnaissance to bridge site in the vicinity of Sareinsming.
160 ft. of Bailey Bridging with an intermediate bent was the solution decided
on. 24 ft of Tdwy was laid out just prior to dark. Sporadic and uncontrolled
F.A. fire was laid in the general vicinity until about 2100 hours when
the FA fire, apparently controlled by some individual in the immediate
area, began falling directly on the work site. 90' of the bridge was launched
before the fire became so accurate and every effort at working on the bridge
was met by a hail of fire. Col Reagan and Capt Monsione were sprayed with
shrapnel at 2230 hours while at the site determining the advisability of
continuing work. "C" Company was alerted to relieve the 60th Engineers
on construction of 300 ft. of m-2 Steel Treadway Bridge and took over at
dark. Sporadic uncontrolled F.A. fire was encountered throughout the site
but fluctuation of the river stage and a restricting working area were
the principle handicaps.
9 December 1944
During the early morning hours every effort at completion
of the Bailey was met with a hail of fire from F.A. After dawn the efforts
of 3 or 4 men on the bridge were allowed to continue undisturbed but as
soon as a platoon was put on the site a terrific barrage was laid down.
The mornings casualties for "B" Company were 22 men and one officer injured.
Occasional sniper fire was encountered so the efforts were abandoned until
the town could be cleared. After civilians were rounded up and placed under
guard work was resumed by a platoon of "A" Company. "B" Company being completely
fatigued from 48 hours without sleep and the preceding 24 hours under fire.
Sporatic fire ranged the river until completion of the bridge at 2245 hours.
The uncompleted bridge had been damaged by the F.A. fire an extra hour
was required to reinforce the damaged members. During the early morning
hours "C" Company accomplished little of thier Treadways because of the
fluctuating water stage hindering the approach, the restricted working
space, the darkness, and harassing enemy fire. It was decided that ferries
were the only crossing means. Just prior to noon the enemy discovered the
operation and was laying heaving fire on the site.
10 December 1944
"A" Company completed treading the 160 ft D/S Bailey
at Sarreinsming and also constructed with Tread a 30 ft, S/S Bailey there.
"B" Company rested while it cleaned up its well- used equipment as did
"C" Company also. Bn. work was now completely in support of the 35th Inf.
Did. for required engineer missions.
11 December 1944
H&S Company in two echelons relocated its quarters.
The forward echelon including the command established themselves 2 miles
South of Saarguemines in Town of Neufgrange. The rear echelon consisting
of the motor and personnel sections planned move in the morning. The Battalion
was on the alert being used as possible task force with Inf. Regiments.
One platoon from "A" Company place an anti-mine boom in river to protect
bridge at Sarreinsming.
12 December 1944
In order to continue our operations the tactical situation
needed clarification in the vicinity of Franenberg. The companies other
than "C" Company made good use of the lull by taking on much needed rest
and maintenance of equipment. "C" Company was working in direct support
of the 60th Engrs. The pending task was the crossing of the Infantry over
the Blies River in the vicinity of Frauenberg. Capt. Makholm took up new
duties as S-5 as Capt. McCann was installed as the Executive Officer to
fill Major Knight's position caused by his decease.
13 December 1944
The Battalion was relieved of the contemplated bridge
task at Saarguemines. The job had been delayed by intense mortar fire at
the site. Our responsibilities and duties were ordered to maintain and
furnish all necessary road & bridge efforts in rear of 60th Engrs.
"B" Company improved road North from Sarreinsming toward road Neunkirch
filling in crater as well as on this road.
14 December 1944
It was noteworthy that having built three bridges of
prime importance the Battalion had put separate Divisions across the Saar
River also. The first Bailey Bridge across the Saar River put 4th Armored
Division over at Fenstrange. The Battalion constructed Bailey at Diedendorf
which placed the 26th Infantry Division on the opposite shore. The 3rd
Division, the 35th Infantry, was crossed on Bailey at Sarrewereden. All
companies were maintaining roads and bridges disposing a couple of platoons
each in this work. The area involved was roughly North and East of canal
bounded by Saarguemines, Neunkirch and Frauenberg road on North to tactical
situation. On the South from Zetting, Wiesweiler, and Woelfling, Bliebruck
15 December 1944
Our usual routine efforts of road & bridge maintenance
continued on in area North by East of Sarreinsming. "B" Company swept and
posted road clear of mines from Woustviller Northeast to Welferding. Two
Baileys were in our program. "C" Company completed D/D 100' Bailey Bridge
with Tread at 0815 hours and improved the approaches. This bridge was built
close to a draw with town of Habkirchen on far side held by the enemy except
for three houses in close proximity to the bridge. These were held by our
Infantry. This bridge was not discovered by enemy until it was completed
just after light of day. Upon discovery the enemy let mortar in as well
as F.A. shells which dropped in Frauenberg during the operation. The mortar
fire was short. "A" Company put in a Class 70 T/D Bailey Bridge 110' in
Saarguemines unmolested in any great degree by enemy fire. It was only
60% complete at 1800 hours. Work continued during the night though delayed
by the bogging down of vehicles bearing panels to bridge site.
16 December 1944
The 110 ft T/D Bailey was entirely complete by the two
platoons of "A" Company at 1000 hours. The remaining platoon placed ??
this class of bridge. While one platoon of "B" Company looked after the
equipment two platoons were continuing road and bridge maintenance in the
vicinity of canal and river in Saarguemines. "C" Company recieved 100'
D/S with one platoon at Frauenberg with one squad remaining for maintenance.
Two platoons maintained road out of Sarreinsming Northeast to Ft. Tiesing
Farm. This route required much repair and was of high priority.
17 December 1944
Despite possible enemy discovery and resultant shell
fire a 132 ft. Floating Treadway was placed at Reinheim. It required work
throughout the night and was finished at 0815 hours. This was accomplished
by "B" Company. Tread was placed on D/D 100' Bailey at Frauenberg by "C"
Company. The approach was extended on the near shore from 10' to 20'. "A"
Company maintained and improved road from Wiesweiler to Bliebruck on to
Folpersweiler. Work was commenced at Gersheim at 1930 hours on a 70' D/S
Bailey. One platoon put in a 22 ft fixed bridge replacing 24' Tdwy. During
this construction a 24' Treadway was placed to by-pass this operation.
"I" beams long transported were finally used up by "A" Company at this
18 December 1944
"A" Company completed the 80' D/S Bailey at Gersheim
at 0200 hours. Also a minefield was marked and taped off at road intersection
of Hermekappel. An anti-mine boom was placed in the Blies River at Reinheim
by "B" Company. This boom 110 feet long, was the second one built in an
effort to eliminate any floating mines destroying bridges. The initial
one was at Sarreinsming 250 feet long. "B" Company in addition put a culvert
in at Ebersing and maintained road from Wiesviller to Bliesbruck and Hermeskappel
to Neunkirch. "C" Company marked and taped off a suspected minefield in
Le Grand Bois and improved and maintained road from Sarreinsming North-East
through previously mentioned forest. An S-mine in the aforementioned field
caused fatality to Sgt. Cassidy and the severe wounding of Lt. King.
19 December 1944
The 50' D/S Bailey was in major portion completed with
a culvert replacing it. This located just East of Folpersviller. While
two platoons were occupied in this task two squads were posting and clearing
minefield in the vicinity of Hereskappel. The remaining squad repaired
approaches to Infantry support bridge West of Bliesbruck. It had been made
difficult to use by the change in river's stage. "B" Company maintained
its area roads & bridges. Two platoons were disposed in this mission
North and East of Wiesviller. Also the anti-mine boom was moved 200 yds.
upstream from Reinheim. The task of fencing minefield with barbed wire
in Le Grand Bois was completed by "C" Company.
20 December 1944
One platoon of "A" Company was alerted for a combat mission.
A second platoon was assigned to the maintenance and repair of roads and
the clearing plus posting of minefield in the vicinity of Hermeskappel.
"B" Company continued its efforts improving the roads assigned from Neunkirch
South and East. One platoon remained in reserve. A party consisting of
squad were maintaining 160' Bailey at Sarreinsming. The main portion of
"C" Company was in continuous maintenance of roads and bridges. The road
from Sarreinsming Northeast through Le Grand Bois proved very troublesome.
Conditions and drainage of road plus being only one way made it a struggle
to keep passable.
21 December 1944
The 50 ft. Bailey was finally removed just East of Folpersviller
upon completion of culvert. In addition to their road maintenance 50% of
minefield in the vicinity of Q588558 was cleared and posted. One platoon
of "B" Company was alerted and sent on mission of patrolling hill 280,
West of Hambach. The remainder of the Company worked roads South and East
of Neunkirch. "C" Company was completely absorbed in bridge and road maintenance.
A half squad worked on 160' Bailey at Sarreinsming.
22 December 1944
A complete change of area was made in conjunction with
Corps movement. The operation started at 0600 hours with final destination
reached 1500 hours. This was at Bertrange in Luxembourg 2-1/2 miles west
of the city. Eight additional 2 -1/2 ton cargo trucks were dispersed among
the companies. These were loaded with approximately 130 PCS of flouring
each for transport for Group.
23 December 1944
No vital operations were in action. The Bn remained on
the alert for contemplated move. Arrangements to relocate in the vicinity
of Mersch were held in abeyance until tomorrow morning. Col. Reagan reported
Bn would have duties now as support of the 10th Armored Division.
24 December 1944
All companies moved. H&S and "A" Company found CP
quarters in Rollingen. "B" Company set up in Beringen and "C" Company in
Udingen. These localities were adjacent to Mersch. Overlays showing areas
for reconnoitering were handed to "A" and "B" Companies. Demolitions were
to be prepared for all bridges and culverts in this prescribed area. "C"
Company was placed on the alert to build an 80' D/S Bailey South of Ettelbruck.
Reconnaissance of this bridge site was being made until construction was
25 December 1944
"A" and "B" Company were active preparing barriers for
placement, hasty minefields and prepared bridge demolition charges. "A"
Company prepared five bridges for demolition in area Northeast of Mersch.
Four hasty minefields were also prepared for placing into position in same
general vicinity. North of Wedernach an abatis was prepared with trees
notched and explosives in place. "B" Company also placed charges preparatory
to demolishing some bridges and culverts amounting to nine in an area East
and North of "A" Company. "C" Company was on the alert maintaining and
cleaning while awaiting order to erect Ettelbruck Bailey.
26 December 1944
The tactical situation remained unaltered. The Bn. continued
its labors preparing and stationing guards on demolition charges and mines.
Minefields and abatis were also completely prepared for future effective
placing in this area. "C" Company was in reserve maintaining its equipment.
The Bailey Bridge at Ettelbruck awaited construction orders from Division
27 December 1944
"A" and "B" Company continued preparing demolition placements.
In order to effectively blow bridges "A" Company dug in back of the abutments
on the bridge south of Chateau de Bertrange. "A" Company worked a total
of 16 locations in the barrier plan. "B" Company employed its compressor
in preparing abutments on the river bridge South of Fels. Both Companies
put guards on the charges. "B" Company prepared 18 different sites in planned
barrier zone. In a switch of division positions 6th Armored replaced the
10th and Bn. was therefore now in support of last named for any engineer
28 December 1944
No additional assignments were given to the Bn. Alerts
continued on bridge demolitions and hasty minefields and maintaining security
on explosives. All three platoons of "A" and "B" Company were thus employed.
"C" Company reverted to normal status after having been alerted for some
days awaiting mission of Bailey Bridge construction at Ettelbruck. This
task did not become pressing and was canceled.
29 December 1944
The Bn. was partially relieved by the 133rd in support
of the 6th Armored. The Bn. thus reverted to a status of general support.
"A" Company was relieved of their duties guarding explosives and five points
for demolition on left flank in area of Easingen and Udingen. "B" Company
was relieved 100% of its responsibilities on the Northern flank. "C" Company
started hauling sand, supplies to the south-west of Finsterthal. A shovel
was placed here and the sand was stockpiled along roads for ice control
at perilous points.
30 December 1944
"C" Company continued its assignments of hauling sand
and arranging stockpiles along MSR's and secondary roads at strategy points.
These to be used for ice control. "B" Company effected a clean-up of its
equipment upon being relieved of its previous duties in conjunction with
preparing and guarding points for demolition and explosive charges. "A"
Company relinquished its task at 1630 hours to the 133rd Engrs. With this
done the Bn. was 100% in general support of 6th Armored Division. No further
responsibility was therefore expected for the prepared positions placed
with accompanying adjacently located explosives serving as a defensive
31 December 1944
Being general support for III Corps the Bn's main effort
at this point was to keep supply routes open to traffic. Some snow had
fallen coating the roads and making them hazardous. "A" and "B" Companies
together employed ten trucks hauling sand from pit in the vicinity of Finsterthal
to control the icy conditions. The major portion of "A" Company being in
reserve tended to its equipment. "B" Company used one platoon and two trucks
and completed task of hauling wire for Drawbridge at Angelsberg. "C" Company
hauled approximately 250 yrs.- 100 loads of sand for MSR's and second routes.