|1 April 1945
"A" Company was relieved of responsibility for approaches
and maintenance of bridges at 0800 hours on Main River. "B" Company was
also relieved of its responsibilities on roads and reassigned new area
from Lauterbach to Willofs and Schlitz. One squad guarded supplies at R.R.
Station in Queck. A fixed bridge at Hutzdorf was reinforced by a platoon
from "C" Company. Battalion CP was located now in Schlitz.
2 April 1945
"A" Company held one platoon under alert to construct
bridge at Heimboldshausen. Two platoons repaired road net from Lauterbach
to Willafs to Schlitz. Also from Lauterbach to Landenhausen to Salzschlirfand
and Schlitz. The route maintained by "B" Company stretched from Schlitz
to Hutzdorf and Nieder Jessa to Hersfeld using two platoons. One squad
was dispatched to Queck to guard lithograph equipment on RR cars. At 1200
hours all companies were relieved of there assigned missions. "B" &
"C" Companies were alerted for an assault crossing of Werra River with
location awaiting further reconnaissance. Battalion set up Headquarters
at Friedewald with a Fwd operations CP at Honebach.
3 April 1945
"C" Company assisted by one platoon from "B" Company
completed 156' Treadway at Widdershausen. A second "B" Company platoon
maintained as well as prepared the bridge approaches. "A" Company had two
squads collecting 4" lumber for decking and committed a squad for security
to Group. One squad also guarded a trailer at RR yards in Queck. A demolition
unit of a squad destroyed 5 anti-personnel bombs in Friedewald. Some
delay on bridge construction was caused by tardiness in arrival of crane.
Actual work commenced at approximately 0735 hours.
4 April 1945
Trailer on RR car under guard of "A" Company was unloaded
and delivered to Corps by 1 squad. Two squads collected materials for continuous
Bailey Bridge at Vacha with balance of company alerted to build continuous
bridge. A "C" Company platoon maintained Treadway approaches. "B" Company
maintained road sector from Friedewald west and south. Battalion Headquarters
was set up in Tiefenort at 2030B.
5 April 1945
"A" Company commenced rebuilding 66' of fixed bridge
at Dorndorf. "B" Company maintained it previous road work plus sector through
Dorndorf, Vacha to road junction north of Kisselbach to Tiefenort. Also
from C2 south of Tiefenort to Inzelborn to Barchfeld through Waldfisch
to Ettenhausen, Weissendiez to Donges. "C" Company was relieved of bridge
and approach maintenance at 1300B.
6 April 1945
Battalion Headquarters was moved to Breitungen and set
up at 2000B. Alert was lifted for "A" Company to build Bailey at Immelborn
as order for construction was rescinded. Two platoons from "A" Company
had 30% of 66' Fixed Bridge at Dorndorf finished. A squad also guarded
mine shaft at Springen. "B" & "C" Companies were occupied with road
maintenance with one platoon of latter company readying to build Bailey
7 April 1945
Progress was slow on "A" Company's Fixed Bridge. 65%
completion was reached at 091800B. Bridge was expected to be done at 081800B.
Mine shaft was still under guard at Springen. "B" Company used two platoons
on road starting at Bad Salzungen and working west and northwest. Also
from Dorndorf and routes east to Barchfeld. Two platoons of "C" Company
constructed a 140' D/S Continuous Bailey at river just west of Barchfeld
completing bridge at 1830B.
8 April 1945
Some finishing touches like hand-rails were yet required
on Dorndorf fixed bridge to complete it. This was expected to be done by
090800B. Relief of mine shaft security was awaited tomorrow at 0800B. "B"
Company disposed two platoons on road maintenance and one platoon from
"C" Company. The approach and bridge maintenance of 140' D/S Bailey at
Barchfeld was cared for by one squad from "C" Company. Also barricades
were constructed at blown bridges at Immelborn and Bretungen. A change
in Headquarters personnel took place. Lt. Sparling reported as S-2 and
Capt. Morgan reverted to ADV.
9 April 1945
Final completion was reached 090530B on fixed bridge
at Dorndorf. Road maintenance was the major task of the battalion. Five
platoons were assigned this work. Three from "B" Company and two from "C"
Company. The road sectors stretched from Barchfeld Bailey southeast through
Schmalkalden and continued east through Steinbach-Hallenberg, Zalla Mehlis.
One squad from "C" Company maintained approaches of D/S 140' Bailey at
Barchfeld. The whole battalion was now located in vicinity of Suhl. Battalion
CP was set up there at 082030 hours.
10 April 1945
Two platoons each from "A" & "B" Company worked on
road assignments of 80 Division MSR's. Sectors stretched from Schmalkalden
to Herges-Hallenberg through Viernau to RJ and Zella Mehlis to Suhl and
Scmiedofeld to Stutzerbach. The balance of companies and Battalion were
in reserve maintaining and cleaning equipment.
11 April 1945
Elements of the Battalion fired newly assigned weapons
at range at Bernbach. Lt. Swenhalt was range officer. "A" Company placed
two platoons and "C" Company three on road maintenance. Work started at
Asbach eastward to Zella Mehlis. From this point "C" Company operated further
east to Schmiedefeld. "B" Company was kept in reserve.
12 April 1945
Battalion Headquarters set up CP at 0845 in Neustadt
just 6 miles south of Timenear. All companies were also in the same area.
One squad from "C" Company served as security on railroad car of enemy
explosives and ammunition at Suhl. All companies worked along supply routes
of 90th Div. "B" Company worked eastward from point vicinity of Schmalkalden.
"C" Company area commenced at Zella Mehlis forward to Ilmenau. "A" Company
was in reserve. One platoon from each company trained with footbridge and
13 April 1945
Battalion moved again from Neustadt to town of Grafenthal
8 miles south of Saalfeld with all companies in adjacent areas. CP was
operating at 1800 hours. Training on footbridge continued and companies
were occupied with the road maintenance starting at town of Zella Mehlis
and running generally eastward to point 3 miles west of Grafenthal.
14 April 1945
"A" Company repaired damaged RR overpass with a crib
at Probstzella. Job was completed at 1800B. "B" Company put one platoon
on road maintenance, clearing abatis and debris. Route started at Gros
Breitenbach following MSR to Grafenthal. "C" Company started work at noon
on Treadway at Blanken-Stein and had 15% done at 1900B. Final bridge completion
was reached at 2300 hours. Approaches remained to be cut.
15 April 1945
Two platoons of "A" Company and one each from "B" and
"C" cleared traffic hazards and obstacles. "A" Company worked routes extending
from Bros Breitenbach through Grafenthal to Probstzella and Ludwigstadt.
"B" Company operated on roads out of Wurzbach to Lobenstein and Lichtenberg.
"C" Company worked roads from Lobenstein to bridge at Blankenstein. This
bridge was also maintained and its approaches prepared by "C" Company.
Approaches required extra work and time to complete. Traffic commenced
to roll at 0860 hours. Battalion moved to Berg two miles southwest of Hirschberg
and set up operations at 1930B. Of interest was the capture of 41 of the
enemy by "B" Company and a U.S. jeep operated by the enemy. This was preparatory
stages of bridge construction at Hirschberg.
16 April 1945
All companies with two platoons each maintained roads
and bridges clearing traffic hazards and obstacles. Work commenced at Grafenthal
and proceeded along MSR and some alternate routes eastward to RJ north
of Hirschberg. "C" Company repaired bridge on Autobahn over Saale River
approximately 4 miles north of Hof.
17 April 1945
An unchanged assignment of road maintenance work was
continued by the companies. "C" Company completed by-pass on stone arch
at Saale River Bridge on the Autobahn at 1200 hours. Once squad maintained
Treadway Bridge at Blankenstein just south of Lobenstein.
18 April 1945
All companies with two platoons each maintained their
assigned sectors for road maintenance. One platoon from B Company widened
the flooring system on the Bailey at Hirschberg. "C" Company with two squads
widened the flooring system on the Double Carriageway Bailey on the Autobahn
approximately three miles north of Hof. Squads from "C" Company also maintained
Treadway at Blankenstein and provided security on rail road cars in Hof.
19 April 1945
Besides a fairly extensive road maintenance task on the
part of all companies one platoon from "C" Company was sent to clear a
sector of woods of suspected enemy, weapons, and ammunition. This was located
directly west of Autobahn near Hirshberg. "B" Company completed the repair
and widening of bridge for two-way traffic in the Northern part of Hof
at 1800. "A" Company with a platoon of two squads speedily constructed
a seventy foot D/S Bailey Bridge in three hours on road between Hof and
Rehau. As they finished the Bailey, they rushed one squad to build a thirty-six
foot Fixed Treadway at Rehau. At 1800 hours the Battalion moved to Marktleuthen.
20 April 1945
All Companies were partially committed to the maintenance
of roads, removing obstacles and clearing traffic hazards. "C" Company
constructed a fifty foot D/S Bailey Bridge at Wunsiedel which was finished
at 1700 hours. H&S Company demolitions men destroyed 1800 lbs TNT,
300 grenades of enemy explosives. The entire Battalion moved late in the
day to Marktleuthen. Ten miles north of Marktredwitz the Battalion has
encountered an unusual number of abatis containing anti-personnel features.
21 April 1945
All Companies were partially committed to the maintenance
of roads involving the clearing of hazards and obstacles. "B" Company set
up a tar heating unit in order to fill and tar chuck holes. "C" Company
removed two road blocks and erected two barricades for bridges that were
out. One squad destroyed a truck load of enemy demolitions. The entire
Battalion moved to the vicinity of Marktredwitz.
22 April 1945
All of, "A" Company and part of "B" Company were assigned
to maintenance of roads, the clearing of traffic hazards and the moving
of obstacles. "B" Company had one platoon alerted for a Bailey Bridge.
"C" Company had one squad working on an abatis that was heavily booby-trapped
and filling a crater. "C" Company was moved at noon to Windischeschenbach
with a section of Bailey Bridge from the 528th L.P. to be ready to build
a bridge. At 1800 hours Battalion Headquarters, H&S, and "A" Company
moved to Windischeschenbach about twenty miles south of Warktredwitz. "C"
Company commenced operations on a 130 foot D/D Bailey Bridge at Neustadt
at 2000 hours.
23 April 1945
"C" Company, which had begun a 130' D/D Bailey at Neustadt
at 2000 hours, finished same at 1430 hours. "A" and "B" Companies each
had two platoons assigned to the maintenance of roads. "B" Company also
had one platoon on work patrol along roads. It shall be S.O.P. for all
road work to include the inspection of bridges to see if they have been
prepared for demolition. Lt. Olson reported a mine field and was instructed
to sweep it border and to supplement the German warning signs with ours.
Because of casualties and booby-trapped mined abatis and road blocks all
companies were instructed that mechanical means would be used to remove
24 April 1945
At 0800 hours the Battalion HQ. moved to Roggenstein
about 8 miles East of Weiden and the companies moved into the vicinity.
"A" and "C" Companies had their full strength committed to the maintenance
of roads. "B" Company had one platoon alerted for the construction of a
60' D/S Bailey near Lokma. They moved with bridge train at 1835 hours and
began construction at 2015 hours. It was open for traffic at 2245 hours.
Casualties suffered in removing abatis and road blocks resulted in the
Division Commander ordering the use of explosives initially in the removing
25 April 1945
"A" Company had one platoon attached to "B" Company of
the 315th Engrs and another platoon working on the maintenance of roads
and the clearing of hazards. "B" Company used one platoon for road work
and had a second platoon procuring materials for a Fixed Bridge underneath
their Bailey near Lokma. They began construction about 1300 hours. "C"
Company had all platoons working on the maintenance of roads. At 1800 hours
the Battalion moved to the vicinity of Glaisthal about 30 miles NW of Cham.
26 April 1945
"A" Company had two of their platoons attached to the
315th Engrs and the third platoon removing a cribbed road block. "B" Company
had one platoon working on the Fixed Bridge during the day and used another
platoon to continue the work at night. A third platoon was assigned to
maintain roads. "C" Company used two platoons for the maintenance of roads
and a third platoon worked on removing cribbing and road blocks. At 1800
hours Battalion HQ. moved to Katzbach about a mile from Cham. The line
Companies occupied towns in the vicinity.
27 April 1945
"B" Company had one platoon on their Fixed Bridge during
the night and another continued the work during the day. They had it open
for traffic at 1700 hours. The Bailey Bridge was dismantled and piled neatly
for removal. Another platoon was used in the maintenance of roads. "A"
Company had two platoons on the maintenance of roads. "C" Company had two
platoons working on the repair and reinforcement of three bridges.
28 April 1945
"A" Company used two platoons, "B" Company one platoon
and "C" Company three platoons for the maintenance of roads and the cleaning
of traffic hazards and abatis. S-4 placed in operation our own battalion
shower point consisting of five shower heads which had been constructed
by the Motor Pool, using the asphalt heater.
29 April 1945
"A" Company had two platoon maintaining roads and the
third spent several hours training on the modified Treadway Bridge. At
noon they were alerted and moved out with the 2nd Calvary Group 1430 hours.
"B" Company used two platoons for the maintenance of roads. Two squads
were assigned to the modified Treadway Bridge training. A third squad destroyed
some enemy explosives. "C" Company had two platoons on road maintenance
and the third on bridge training.
30 April 1945
"A" Company continued in support of the 2nd Cavalry while
one platoon was standing by the two others were working on three road craters
near Zwiesel. The prisoners taken by the 2nd Cavalry must have been high
as it was necessary for them to use three of "A" Company's trucks. "B"
Company had two platoons committed to the maintenance of roads. The third
platoon constructed a modified Treadway Bridge for training. "C" Company
used two platoons on the maintenance of roads and the third platoon is
training on the modified Treadway Bridge. For the past couple of days our
area of road maintenance has been bounded by Cham, Furth, Eschlkam, Kotzting